The following section of Ordinance No. 290, Series 2007, is specific to animal restraint. To view Ordinance No. 290, Series 2007 in its entirety please visit the website listed at the end of this Reminder message.
SECTION I. Chapter 91
§ 91.002 RESTRAINT REQUIRED.
All animals shall be kept under restraint at all times, as defined in this chapter, except as otherwise provided herein, and any deviation or violation thereof is strictly prohibited.
1) For all animals except puppies and dogs, RESTRAINT shall mean on the premises of the owner or on premises which the animals presence has been explicitly allowed, or, if off the premises of the owner where permission has not been granted, under restraint by means of a lead or leash or in a cage or carrier and under the control of a responsible person.
(2) For puppies and dogs, RESTRAINT shall mean on the premises of the owner or on premises which the animals' presence has been explicitly allowed, and confined in a secure enclosure, or accompanied by the owner and under his/her direct control. If off the premises of the owner where permission has not been granted, the animal must be restrained by a lead or leash and under the control of a responsible person physically able to control the dog, or except for dangerous dogs, and potentially dangerous dogs, accompanied by a responsible person into an enclosed "off-leash" area designated by the Kentucky Department of Parks or the Metro Department of Parks and in conformance with all regulations and/or requirements imposed as a condition of utilizing such "off-leash" area by such Departments of Parks, or their designees.
(3) In addition to the requirements of subsection (2), above, under this definition, RESTRAINT for dangerous dogs, and potentially dangerous dogs shall mean as follows:
- (a) That dangerous dogs and potentially dangerous dogs are at all times securely muzzled when off the premises of the owner. The muzzle shall be made in such a manner that will not cause injury to the dog or interfere with its vision or respiration, but shall prevent it from biting any human or other animal;
- (b) That owners of dangerous dogs, and potentially dangerous dogs shall not allow the dog to be outside an enclosure as defined in this chapter unless the dog is confined to a secure cage, or is chained, leashed, and is under the control of a person physically able to restrain the dog.
- (c) That a lead or leash for a potentially dangerous or dangerous dog shall not exceed four feet in length.
(4) Other standards and requirements for restraining dogs shall be as set forth in § 91.091.